Thursday, November 30, 2006

Sculpture in Progress - Day 2

“Sculpture in Progress – Day 2
32”x11”x 9”
Unfired clay
Laura Marie Anderson © November 30, 2006

I’m just trying to build this form up without adding too much clay at once. There is only one pipe in this piece that goes up about 4/5 of the way. The neck and head will be the most endangered part during this process. I add clay then wait a few days for the clay to stabilize. The fresh clay becomes drier, and the old and the new equalize, leaving me with, hopefully, a wonderful clay body to work with. I store this sculpture with towel damp with water wrapped around it and then put a huge garbage bag over it.
My little sister, Mary wins the contest on guessing what it is. It is a skeleton sitting on it’s hunches. It will be more of a person, but since I work from the inside out, good guess Mary.

No comments: