Monday, November 27, 2006

The Sun That Thought It Could

“The Sun That Thought It Could”
11” x 14”
Unframed - Oil on prepared Masonite
Not for Sale
Laura Marie Anderson © November 27, 2006
When I first saw this scene I thought, “Wow, what an easy, colorful thing to paint.” Not!

I started with a bad support. Some time back I had been experimenting with different gessoes, (the coating that covers the surface that you are painting, so that the oil in the paint won’t hurt the surface and so that the surface acids, for example, won’t hurt the paint.)

This batch turn out extremely slick and with deep grooves in the paint from the brush I used to apply it. After sanding it was still a problem.

I decided not to fight it and to use a stand oil medium (it is self-leveling) and goes with the slick surface. After two rounds with the paintbrush, I decided to use the palette knife for round number three and see if I could actually get some paint to stick. Round four and I was back to the brush and knife. After the boxing match, this is what I came up with. I’m not sure about this painting. But it is the painting of the day.

I got some disappointing news today. My show at the Toad n Willow in Billings, Friday night, December 1st, is for only one night. I am thinking to make the best of it and try inviting as many people as I can think of. It is at 2202 1st Ave N, in Billings, next to CTA Architects. The reception is from 5-9pm. The last show they had there had a great turn out, so I am hoping for the best.

No comments: