Friday, December 15, 2006

Day 1-Work in Progress - "Hellroaring Falls #3"



“Day 1 - Work in Progress, Hell Roaring Falls #3”
40” x 30”
Available at ?
Unframed - Oil on prepared Masonite
Laura Marie Anderson © December 15, 2006


This is a work in progress. I have two completed Hell Roaring paintings. Both plein air, (painted on location), one is a 10”x8” the other 24”x18”, the first painted with a brush, the second with a palette knife. They can be seen by following this link: Hell Roaring Falls


I am going to share some technical notes here, for you and for me. I gessoed this hardboard with an acrylic gesso applying it with a foam roller. I then lightly sanded the board. I love the texture this provides. It is soft yet has some tooth about it. I then toned the board with Burnt Sienna and turpentine. When toning I use my brush dipped in turpentine to pull out the whites by wiping off the color with a rag. I then started the under painting in Brunt Sienna, Ultramarine Blue, touches of Cadmium Yellow and Phthalo Turquoise Blue. I put in the darks and then put in the under color with the lights. I used a medium of ½ turpentine and ½ Galkyd, by Gamblin. I covered the surface, so now I am stopping for the day. My plan is to take this painting to the Falls next week and place it on this great easel my dad made for me. It was made exactly for this purpose. The wind shouldn’t be a problem there as the area is well sheltered, let’s hope the temperatures don’t drop dramatically.

No comments: